My name is Andreas Matthias.
I’ve been a full-time software developer, Unix systems administrator, webmaster, and programming languages teacher for over 20 years. I’ve also been a philosophy student, got a PhD in philosophy, and now work as a philosophy teacher at a Hong Kong university.
I am the author of multiple articles on machine ethics and the philosophy of autonomous robots.
I am available for speaking engagements on the topic of robot and machine ethics. I am currently located in Hong Kong, so speaking invitations must include transport arrangements.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am always happy to receive your feedback, ideas and criticisms!
A selection of some of my publications follows below. The full list is available on my professional homepage: http://www.shufang.net/matthias/
MATTHIAS Andreas (2008). Automaten als Traeger von Rechten. Plaedoyer fuer eine Gesetzesaenderung. (Automata as Holders of Rights. A Proposal for a Change in Legislation), Berlin: Logos, Aug 2008, 273 Pages.
MATTHIAS Andreas (2008). “From Coder to Creator. Responsibility Issues in Intelligent Artifact Design”, Handbook of Research in Technoethics., Rocci Luppicini, Rebecca Adell (ed.), pp. 635 -650, IGI Global Books, Information Science Reference. Hershey/New York.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2015). “Robot Lies in Health Care. When Is Deception Morally Permissible?” Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal Vol. 25, No. 2, 169–192
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2011). “Algorithmic moral control of war robots: Philosophical questions.” Law, Innovation and Technology, Volume 3, Number 2, pp. 279-301 (23)
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2009). “Standpunkt: Rechtsverantwortung Autonomer Maschinen”, Neue Juristische Wochenschrift, Issue 27, pp. 12, CH Beck.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2008). “The Responsibility Gap. Ascribing Responsibility for the Actions of Learning Automata.”, Ethics and Information Technology, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 175 -183, Springer.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2016). “Machine ethics and legislation. A few concerns.”, Workshop on Ethics and Public Policy, Hang Seng Management College — Department of Social Science, Shatin, Hong Kong, China, Hang Seng Management College, December 5, 2016.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2016). “Machine ethics: Eight concerns”, Engineering Moral Agents — from Human Morality to Artificial Morality, Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik, University of Liverpool, London School of Economics, Univ. of the West of England, Univ. of Bergen, Norway. Schloss Dagstuhl — Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik. June 1, 2016.
- MATTHIAS Andreas, “Is the Concept of an Ethical Governor Philosophically Sound?” Best paper award at TILTing Perspectives 2011: “Technologies on the stand: Legal and ethical questions in neuroscience and robotics”, Tilburg University, Netherlands, April 11-12, 2011.
Other publications, talks, interviews
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2010). “Ethical Responsibilities of IT Professionals”, Information Security Challenges in Today’s Higher Education Community, Joint Universities Computing Centre (JUCC), Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, May 2010.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2010). “Interview: Machines as holders of rights.”, Part of lit.cologne International Literature Festival, March 12, 2010, Mar 2010, Published as WDR radio interview.
- MATTHIAS Andreas (2008). “Interview: Strafrecht fuer Roboter: Maschinen sollen fuer eigene Fehler haften.”, Spiegel Online Wissenschaft. Hamburg, Germany., Aug 2008.